Lessons to learn from Kmart chair incident.
Most retail businesses need to be very causes of health and safety of employees and customers. if something went wrong, they could end up in caught and they will be fined by the court.
Today, smh.com.au reported about a woman (Julie Ann Lewis ) who awarded $300,000 by Kmart for the incident happened in the Kmart Store.
Lewis was sitting on a chair inside Kmart while she’s waiting for her pictures to be printed. However, those chairs are display chairs and they were not supposed to sit. many people sit on the chairs while they wait for pictures to be printed.
unfortunately, the chair she was sitting on suddenly gave away with one of the bag legs snapping off entirely. According to smh.com.au
“All of a sudden I went down,” Lewis told the court.
Lewis filed a case against Kmart for breaching its own store policies and duty of care. She was awarded $300,000 in damages, to go towards on her medical bills and future wage loss.
Since we have so many Small business owners reading this website. we would like to remind you of having relevant insurance policies in place and taken extra care of clients.
Also, as an SME owner, you should be careful of Unfair Dismissal and other employee related matters too. always review employee wages and make sure you are paying them the correct amount and make sure their health and safty is number one.